The Perrys
Today I took a fun road trip with my good friend Becky T. We drove 3 hours (chatting easily the entire way!) south to Bloomfield, MO where The Perrys were in concert. I'm always so happy for Sue when she (or any songwriter) gets to see her song performed by the artist who recorded it. So this trip was partly that, but also just to gain an understanding and appreciation for Southern Gospel music, at least in this most traditional style. Check! I really enjoyed it. Libbi and the guys were all SO kind, and very talented.A few months ago I learned that The Perrys would be recording a song I cowrote with Marcia Henry, called "The Potter Knows the Clay," on their album due out in October. It was a real treat to get to see them in person, and they did sing the song. They sang it with gusto - it was better than I had imagined. A real ministry moment in the program. I prayed that it would bring comfort and seep into the cracks of people's hearts, like music has a way of doing.
Later in the concert Tracy was kind enough to mention that the cowriter of "The Potter Knows the Clay" was here in the audience, and had me stand for applause. I just wanted to applaud them for communicating the message so well and being willing to sing such a personal song -- and for being so generous to acknowledge their songwriters. They really did do a great job -- and later told me the recorded version is much better than their live piano/vocal that they did today. Can't wait to hear it.
After the concert came a sobering moment. As people were leaving the rows, I felt someone palm my shoulder from behind. I turned to try to maneuver a side-hug to find a guy in his 30s, tears flowing fast from his eyes. It was clear he wanted a real hug, so of course I gave him one. And he whispered "Thank you for that song. My wife just died, and you have no idea what those words meant to me."
So tonight I am just thankful that although I might help put together words and melodies, God orchestrates healing and comfort. And thankful that He lets me have a tiny part in the huge things He does. And thankful that all different types of music touch all different types of people. And thankful that I have friends like Becky to talk about songwriting with for 6 hours in one day.

5 Comments:
That's so cool! I'm so glad you got to hear them sing your song... but how sweet is God to let you have a little glimpse into the way the song is already ministering to people where they hurt. That's what it's all about!
Hey guys:
I met Matt Craig at CRAVE this afternoon . . . thanks for helping facilitate that meeting.
I hope the Lord will cross our paths when I get back. I've really enjoyed working with you both. Like Matt said, "when you spend time with them, you come away a better person."
Blessings on your music, your work, and your family.
In Christ,
Jake
Ahhh...This made my day!
What a blessing!
Ahhh...This made my Day!!
What a blessing!
Phil
sounds like fun! More importantly, how do you get your pictures to look like that?
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home