Monday, November 10, 2008

Happy Monday Morning!

After a full weekend of family and church festivities, I woke up this morning to two happy surprises in my inbox.

First, Sue had sent me a demo of a song that she, Don, and I wrote awhile back. It was actually a song that my son inspired with one of his cute little comments (April 16, '07 blog). That was fun to hear (although I admit I equally love Don's worktape).

I also got an email from Jayme, the great gal who pitches my songs to artists, saying she liked the songs I sent and they'd be shown today at the pitch meeting. They are kids songs, and one of them is a rap/country tune. She also said I was full of surprises and she'd be mocking me from now on. I'll take that as a compliment (and with a tiny bit of fear from the blackmail material she now holds in her possession). Nick said he thought it sounded more like Sheryl Crow doing a segment on Sesame Street. Um, thank you???

These little songwriting treats aren't huge deals, but they are motivating! I have that extra burst of energy to finish a song I've been working on -- one that I feel just needs to be written, and might never get pitched. It's one of those track 11... The honest ones -- which still need to be great and not just "Smelly Cat" songs. But sometimes I just need the permission to write quirkily and something great comes out of that freedom.

Tomorrow night we'll host the Iowa Songwriters Guild in our living room. I'm hoping to finish something before then to bring to the critique session (I've gotten in the bad habit of just teaching the lesson and offering feedback to others, but not showing something of my own). Next month we'll do a House Show here. I can't tell you the joy I receive from having our living room filled with creative types, vulnerable enough to share their creations. If songs shared here could decorate our walls, we'd have a lovely and eclectic gallery of art!

4 Comments:

At 8:13 PM , Blogger Melissa said...

now you know why I RARELY ever had anything critiqued. . . .

 
At 8:25 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I almost always LOVE track 11 best, don't you?

 
At 8:41 AM , Blogger Allie L. said...

Sue, one of my favorite songs of yours (and Belinda's) is a number 11 ... "God's Been Good" -- I love that song!! It is my cheer up song that I play on days when I'm being grumbly.

I think someone should do an album called 11s. And it should live up to the challenge!

 
At 1:46 PM , Blogger Becky said...

Quirkily...ha!

Glad to hear how jazzed you are in your writing right now! Get it in while you still can--before baby!;)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home