Monday, January 29, 2007

Woes and wins of home recording

This beautiful photo is titled "Cords." Don't you like the lines and texture? Sometimes you just have to find something/anything to get you past the frustration-with-technology moment of trying to record a demo with limited equipment. Yesterday turned out to be a very productive musical day, but not without its delays and hurdles. I learned to never again say "Oh, this is an easy one - it should only need one take."

It felt great to get one demo done and sent off to the artist I'm pitching it to. Also did some scratch tracks for a song that Mr. Terry and I are working on. And reworked the bridge to the song I showed at Songwriters' Group last week. Next is making a demo of that one to show to our worship pastor at church. And last but not least, I wrote a song to submit for the rumored "American Idol" song contest. A kid can dream, right?


Over the weekend I watched a few segments of a DVD called "Songwriters' Experience." My mom was here and was so kind to be interested in watching some interviews of great songwriters giving advice to aspiring ones. She was really impressed with their wisdom and humble hearts. And all the explaining I'd be doing about this "hobby" of mine all came into view as a true passion and calling. Thanks, Mom! To my songwriting friends, this DVD is a MUST .... It's a treasury of sound advice and wisdom and inspiration. Watching it again felt like an artist date through and through.

This week holds two cowrites and another demo session. And planning a valentines' party for 24 3-yr-olds, teaching Mboy that crayons are not for eating or sticking in orifices, and the ongoing teachable moments with Gman... answering questions like "Why do I have to tell the truth?" and "Where does my tongue start?" and "When I'm 12 can I eat cookies for breakfast like you? ['This is a biscotti son, not a cookie.]

2 Comments:

At 9:05 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

'Cmon, Allie, knock it off!! You are making me feel guilty!! :) I'm too busy washing Elmer's glue out of underwear......

SueC

 
At 8:26 PM , Blogger Terry said...

Ahhh...enjoy those memories Al. before you know it, GMan is going to need help with homework....like math.

t

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home