Wednesday, January 23, 2008

Nashville, Day 2

Yesterday, I wrote two songs that I really like. One with my friend, Kim, and another with a melody writer I hadn't met before. The co-write was successful and we came out with a beautiful song. It is really fun to hear someone else interpret my lyric in a new melody. It's always better than what I had in my head.

Last night, I tried my first fried pickles at Sportsman's Grille. They were quite tasty, after I got over the warm-pickle-thing.

Today was inspiring! First, had coffee with some St. Louis friends who are also here in town this week. Next, I finished two more songs, and a third song that just kind of "happened" as another writer was peeking in to see what Sue and I were working on. So in the midst of our Southern Gospel writing, we took an intermission of CCM/Rock writing, and then came back to finish our southern lyric. That was fun!

So the funny thing is that of the five songs I've written so far, three have been Southern Gospel. It's not that I've been decisive towards that genre -- it's just where my ideas are falling. After my cut with the Perry's, I tried to learn by listening to several groups' albums. I found myself enjoying quite a bit of it -- especially the toe-tappin', knee-slapping' kind. A year ago, I wouldn't have had the foggiest idea how to write a SG song. So knowing that I'm learning something new is a happy thought. And many of the writers I admire are diverse in their genres, so I'm aspiring to do the same -- if not only as an exercise in writing outside of my box, maybe because it's pretty fun!

Tomorrow I have one more writing appointment, and then some singing to do. I'm starting to miss my family -- I'll be home soon, boyz (and Mom/Dad .... you are babysitters extraordinaires!)

5 Comments:

At 7:30 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Today was great... and that rock/ccm break was just what we needed to bump our sg lyric up a few notches. Thanks for "going there" with me!

 
At 5:24 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had fried pickles for the first time last Christmas and loved them.

 
At 9:52 AM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm glad that you're having a wonderful time! Miss you!

 
At 6:03 PM , Blogger amy said...

YUM on the fried pickles!! my mouth is watering just thinking about them! Hatfields & McCoys Restaurant in St. Peters makes them, but they are a little too salty! Next time I go south, I'm going to hunt me down some fried pickles!

 
At 7:41 PM , Blogger Becky said...

This is great stuff, Allie! Thanks for sharing and keep it coming! I'm so proud of you!!!!!

Becky T.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home