Stuff
Some of you know that in addition to my interests in music and songwriting, I have in recent years been compelled to do my part in cleaning up our earth. I'm the weirdo at the grocery store who, when asked "Paper of plastic?", answers "Neither" as I hold out my reusable bags. It all started with my first pregnancy and realizing that every choice I made, nutritionally, affected this little brand new person inside me. I had never before realized how much filler/additives/chemicals was put in our daily American fare- especially stuff advertised as child-friendly. And then taking natural childbirth classes to train for unmedicated childbirth (and later becoming an instructor for other couples). And then using cloth diapers, just because it made sense -- earth-wise, skin-wise, money-wise ... well, and just because the modern ones make it so easy (now they have snaps and velcro instead of pins!). I never really meant to become green. I just love learning, and I guess with learning comes responsibility to respond.
All that said, I admit I'm a slow learner. And I love convenience, and shopping. But sometimes a lesson comes along in a way that makes me change something right then and there, because the argument is just so strong and I can't in clear conscience keep doing things the same.
That's how I felt yesterday when my friend, Kat, sent me a short film on Sustainable Production and Consumption (in other words, the connection between shopping, the environment, and economic justice.) If that sounds really boring to you, let it prove you wrong. Take 20 minutes and go watch this. http://www.storyofstuff.com/. Even if you aren't the least bit interested in environmentalism, I think you'll like it. It is really well done, it's funny, inspirational, and just might affect some decisions you make today. I know it did for me. Hang on through the part about consumption and disposal. Fascinating, convicting, and so true. I've made some lasting changes in my own habits, but I still have so much to learn. As my pastor in St. Louis used to say, Christians should be the most passioned environmentalists out there. Being a good steward carries vast weight and meaning. It's not a fashion trend, it's a call to change the world for the better, for future generations. And to force ourselves to THINK about our actions and realize their impact on others.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home