Writing and Reading
I cowrote today in my living room. That felt good. Marcy Each is a new friend who is part of our Iowa Songwriters Guild. She's one of those people who has amazing raw talent and only realizes half of it. Seriously, you all would love her. She might be famous someday, who knows. I'm so happy to have a cowriter in town and that she leans toward bluegrass/country style. So fun! I feel like my writing energy is up again, and I'm motivated to tie up some loose song ends and keep writing more new ones. Mama's getting her groove back, slowly but surely.
I've been reading "Bird by Bird: Some instructions on writing and life" by Anne Lamott. Songwriter friends, please add this to your list. It was recommended to me by a friend who is an author, and now I'm seeing the many similarities that apply to writing songs. We have characters, settings, plots, climaxes, and word palettes. We have writer's blocks and staring off into space and moments that seem divinely inspired where our fingers can't keep up with the words pouring in. We have procrastination and insecurity and first drafts and rewriting. I am just so thankful that my work of art fits on one page instead of having to fill hundreds!! I have a new appreciation for authors as they labor over one "piece" which includes stacks of pages. Reading this book is making me feel like a freak and accepted, all in one. It makes me want to write (songs, not books). And it confirms that writing is in my blood. I will always do it, whether I like it or not. So I'd like to make it good, and preferably great. Long ways to go, for sure. This book, in short, is making me pay more attention to details in everyday life, in emotions, in memories... that's where the great songs will be, I think.
Last week I received news of a cut on an Easter project for next year. That was a nice surprise and rounds out my couple of cuts this year to children's, Christmas, and Easter. I like to celebrate every little thing. I am very thankful and can't wait to hear them. The kids' project is on the shelves now - here is the link:http://www.brentwoodbenson.com/product.aspx?ProjectCode=457571664

6 Comments:
Cool, I will order that book for sure! Congrats on the kids cut! SWEET cover. :)
This is great Allie. Cool to see what the final work looks like. I sent the link along to our acting JK Director at West County. Would be cool to use your stuff! Glad you're getting your groove back. I am impressed. It took me a good year or so to get mine back:-)) Hopefully this time it will be a little faster:-) Hugs.
soooo.... which song is yours on this kids album?????????
Traveling Mercies is really great too, if you want to read more of stuff.
I wrote "This is What We Believe" and "Fellowship of Believers."
Congratulations! Go Allie! .... And I absolutely loved Bird by Bird. I second the recommendation.
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home