Track #2: When Amidst The Storm I'm Shaken
I frequently write "on assignment" for Sunday Best and Lillenas. I love a deadline and a focus -- a challenge to be as creative as I can within the box I am given (Sue Smith said that!). Some songs, on the other hand, are just God-and-me songs that come out at random times in the living room, usually as a prayer or outpouring of a situation at hand. This song was one of those, written after hearing from a friend that her father had died suddenly. She said it was the most sadness she had ever felt -- more than she could bear. The best thing I could do was pray for her heart, for grieving with hope, for God to give such specific provision that she knew His presence was sufficient for her need. What came out was a more poetic or hymnic voice, allowing for some of the complex words to describe a complicated grief and assurance of hope.
So, since this started as a spontaneous prayer song, I never meant to turn it in to my publisher. But one day when I was turning in some other songs I just tagged it along and it sat in my file. A few months later, I got word from Jayme and Dave that it would be included on the Ashes to Fire devotional CD released by Consuming Worship in 2011. They also asked me to be the artist, which was a very special opportunity. When song selection came around for my hymns CD, I knew I wanted this song to be included -- it represents a moment of intimate prayer and true hope that God's grace is sufficient to the very last detail.
**This song, as well as the entire album of "Treasures" is now available on iTunes: http://itunes.apple.com/us/album/treasures/id481144214
**Worship leaders, "When Amidst The Storm" is available with full charts on CCLI. If you feel led to share it with your church, I'd be so grateful!

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]
<< Home